New Uses for Old Buildings - Offices and Incubator Hubs
Using heritage buildings as office spaces, incubator hubs or co-work spaces is a great way to revitalize historic spaces. What was once a warehouse is now a trendy and innovative space for cultivating new ideas!
Odd Fellows Temple in Downtown Calgary
- Built in 1912 by David McIlroy, designer of the Lougheed House and First Baptist Church.
- Used as a meeting place for The Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization that came to Alberta in 1884. It was important to community life among new immigrants in the area.
- Now SAIT’s new School for Advanced Digital Technology at 106 6 Ave SW
King Edward School
- The beautiful sandstone King Edward School (1912) was given a new life as an arts incubator called cSPACE King Edward.
- It is now South Calgary’s home to artists, creative entrepreneurs, and culture and community nonprofit organizations.
- The adaptive reuse was designed by Nyhoff Architecture .
- The grounds are sometimes used for a local farmers market and summer outdoor yoga.
- The public facility also boasts affordable event, meeting, exhibition, and performance space for community events.
- Built in 1896 in Mission (formally known as Rouleauville)
- The home of prominent Rancher J.J McHugh and his family
- It was purchased by the City of Calgary, relocated to its present location in 2014 and converted to a community arts hub with spaces for rent
- It houses the Beltline Neighbourhoods Association at 102 17 Ave SW
St. Louis Hotel in Downtown Calgary E
- Built in 1914 in preparation for the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway
- The building had a reputation for some wild nights in the basement bar! And was frequented by Premier Ralph Klein.
- Now a meeting venue and the headquarters of the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation at 430 8th Ave SE
Neilson's Furniture Warehouse/ Independent Biscuit Co. in the Beltline
- This 3-storey brick warehouse stocked Neilson’s 8th Stephen Avenue Store from 1912
- The 4th storey was added in 1926 when the Independent Biscuit Co. moved in
- A modern glass, wood and steel addition transformed this space to The Biscuit Block in 2013
- 438 11 Ave SW now has offices for lease
Ramsay’s Western Steel Products Plant (Westeel)
- This red brick Edwardian building with large industrial windows was constructed in 1919
- Now it's The Commons, a co-working and event space at 1206 20 Ave SE
Calgary Co-op Fur Farmers/ Superblend Feeds in Ramsay
- The original warehouse was constructed in 1912 for the Canadian Western Natural Gas, Heat, and Power Company Ltd.
- An interesting fact: helium for airships was secretly manufactured here during WWI!
- The sheet metal additions were added after a fire in 1948 for the fur farmers marketing association and feed mill
- Now 1701 11 St SE is home to Superblend YYC Dispensaries and other small businesses