New Uses for Old Buildings - Bars & Breweries
Who knew that a funeral home, a garage, a bank, or an old warehouse could be transformed to such eclectic spaces for friends to meet, raise a glass and party! Appealing to locals and tourists alike, these old buildings, with their exposed brick and architectural details carried over from their former uses have a vibe that new construction just can’t deliver. Plus recycling old buildings is great for the environment!
The Bank of Nova Scotia on Stephen Avenue
- This bank was built in 1930 and is an excellent example of the kind of architectural eclecticism designed to convey a sense of solidity and security following the stock market crash of 1929
- It’s now home to the Bank and Baron Traditional Public Urban Bar at 125 8 Ave SW.
- Original features like the vault door and teller’s windows add to the ambiance
Davidson Residence/McInnis and Holloway Funeral Home in Cliff Bungalow
- The original owners of this 1909 family home, David and Dora Davidson both died in the house and had their funerals there
- In 1935, it became the McGinnis and Holloway Funeral Home, then the Rose & Crown Pub in 1986
- 1503 - 4 St. SW is considered to be one of the top 4 haunted places in Calgary
- Everything historic stayed including the original wallpaper on the third floor. Putting in a functional bar was the only renovation.
G.F Stephens & Company Paint Warehouse in the Beltline
- Built in 1912, this modest red brick building highlights how Calgary became Western Canada’s most important wholesale distribution centre between Winnipeg and Vancouver, thanks to the CPR main line
- Now 1006 11 Avenue SW is home to the popular nightclub Twisted Element and the Work Nicer co-working space!
- This is revitalization at it’s finest!
Scott Fruit Co. & Lowney Wm. Co. in the Beltline
- Constructed in 1912, this building was built during the Pre WWI Boom.
- With it’s post and beam structure with brick walls and sandstone cladding, it is a great example of warehouse architecture
- The popular Greta Bar now occupies 213 10 Ave
A Former Garage in Ramsay
- Built in 1947 this building with its roll up door was once used as a bike store and a garage.
- Now home to the Dandy Brewing Company a new production facility and full service tasting room, located at 2003 11 St SE
Davis Residence in Victoria Park
- This home was Built in 1905 in the Queen Anne Revival style.
- It is surprising to think that almost the entire length of 12 Ave SW was once lined with dwellings of the same style! Now this house is a rarity, and the only existing example of this style in a 6-block radius.
- This house has a storied past! Over the past 116 years the rooms were rented out, annexed to the neighbouring YMCA, were used as a nursing and rest home, and as an auto body shop!
- 213 12 Ave SW is now home to the beloved Civic Tavern!