The Winston Heights/Mountview community was established when Mountview, dating back to the early 1900s, amalgamated with the younger community of Winston Heights in 1962. Mountview was sparsely populated until 1911 when the Calgary Municipal Railway extended its streetcar line along what is now Edmonton Trail, and made it an attractive community for blue-collar workers employed in the City's southeast. Some Craftsmen-style bungalows from that period, referred to as Builders Cottages, still remain today. In 1945, the City set aside parcels of land, administered under the Veterans' Land Act, north of 24th Avenue NE and east of Edmonton Trail for houses for returning World War II veterans. Originally 1-acre parcels, these lots were later divided in half, allowing 115 homes to be built by 1952. In 1947, the veterans formed a community association and requested City Council to name their community Winston Heights, in honour of the British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill.