Rideau Park and Roxboro are bordered on three sides by the Elbow River. Annexed in 1907, the Roxboro subdivision started in 1912, but building slowed because of the real estate downturn and didn’t resume until the 1920s. Although numerous 1920s’ houses in Roxboro and Rideau Park are still in good condition, one of the most famous was never completed. Dr. Neville J. Lindsay, a prominent doctor and developer in Calgary during the early 1900s, embarked on building Lindsay’s Castle, an elaborate sandstone home on the escarpment above the Elbow River, but finished only the foundation and the main floor. The community is close to downtown with access via major transportation routes such as 4th Street SW and Macleod Trail, as well as the City’s extensive pathway system. Areas of interest include the 1915 Mission Bridge, the 1927 10th Calgary Troop Boy Scout Hall, and the 1934 Wood's Park Pedestrian Bridge.
To learn more:
- The Association. 1976. Observations, 1883-1976. Calgary: Rideau-Roxboro Community Association. Calgary Public Library.
- Federation of Calgary Communities. “Rideau - Roxboro”.
- City of Calgary. Rideau Park Community Profile.
- City of Calgary. Roxboro Community Profile.