Parkhill/ Stanley Park (1910 - )
Parkhill was named for the escarpment rising sharply above the Elbow River on the northeast side of Stanley Park. The hill affords spectacular views and meandering pathways down to the river valley. Development north of 42nd Avenue SW began with Calgary’s first building boom, and its varied lot sizes can still be seen on some streets. On Elbow River’s sandy east bank are the remains of Lindsay’s Folly, a “castle” started in 1913 by Dr. Neville Lindsay, the owner of the Parkhill lands. The castle was abandoned, Lindsay died broke in 1925, and the city acquired the site in 1936. The area south of 42nd Avenue was completed in the 1950s and ’60s. The brick and sandstone Parkhill Public School (1912) was converted to condominiums in the 1980s. The community’s 1994 Area Redevelopment Plan designated its western part as a Conservation Area to encourage the preservation of existing housing and construction of infill development.
To learn more…
- Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources. Lindsay’s Folly. Calgary: City of Calgary. Online Resource.
- Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources. Parkhill Public School. Calgary: City of Calgary. Online Resource.
- Parkhill/Stanley Park ARP PDF. https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/planning-and-development-resource-library/publications.html