Mission (1875 - )
Mission Notre Dame de la Paix (Our Lady of the Peace) was founded in 1875 by French-Catholic Oblate missionaries, and relocated to a peaceful spot along the Elbow River. In 1884, Father Albert Lacombe oversaw its subdivision as the Oblate Mission Townsite. In 1885, the Faithful Companions of Jesus (FCJs, Fidèle Compagnons de Jésus) founded their Sacred Heart Convent (Couvent Sacré Cœur) and established the first francophone Catholic education system in southern Alberta, helped by Supreme Court Justice Charles Rouleau. Around 1887, Dr. Édouard Rouleau, Charles’ brother, moved to an 1885 Queen Anne Revival house, now known as the Rouleau House, and became medical chief of staff when Holy Cross Hospital (l'hôpital Sainte-Croix) was founded by the Grey Nuns (les Sueurs Grises) in 1892. By 1899, some 500 residents incorporated the Village of Rouleauville, today’s Mission neighbourhood. Significant landmarks are St. Mary’s Cathedral, the Parish Hall, the Canadian Northern Railway Bridge and Rouleauville Square.
To learn more:
- Avitus Design. 1995. The Cliff Bungalow-Mission Building Inventory. Calgary: Avitus Design. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Ness, Jason Michael. 2002. A Heritage Conservation Strategy for Cliff Bungalow-Mission. Calgary: Jason Ness. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Mittelstadt, David. 2015. Cliff Bungalow - Mission: A Heritage Community. Calgary: Cliff Mission-Bungalow Community Association. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Alberta Historic Places RETROactive blog. 2020. The Metis of Rouleauville. Online Resource.
- BaladoDecouverte. Rouleauville, the Calgary’s Historic Francophone District. Online Resource.
- Calgary Herald 1995 Walking Tour of Mission (Take the tour and see what's changed!)