Killarney/Glengarry (1906 - )
Killarney/Glengarry in Calgary’s southwest was annexed by the City in 1910. The major subdivision plan for the area was registered in 1906, which divided the community into 25-foot and 50-foot lots. During the early 1900s, housing consisted of one-storey cottage style homes and two-storey clapboard houses built on the 25-foot lots. In 1934, Calgary’s first zoning ordinance was approved, and most of the Killarney/Glengarry community was designated R-2 for duplex development. However, there was little development in the community until after World War II, with the majority of the building taking place when soldiers returned from the war. To help them settle back into civilian life and raise families, soldiers were sold property lots for just $25. Houses from this period were generally one-storey stucco bungalows on 50-foot lots, with the majority intended for single-family use.