Inglewood (1875 - )
Inglewood is the oldest continuously settled neighbourhood in Calgary, and its origins are tied to the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). The CPR Company, bypassing many land speculators, located its station on land west of the Fort in 1883. Many left the old settlement for the new, and a few small log buildings across the Elbow River to the east of Fort Calgary became the nucleus of a new town. Stockyards, packing houses, a brewery, and a sash-and-door factory developed in Inglewood. Housing tracts for workers, the East Ward School and a few churches filled out what became known as East Calgary. The community’s bound by the Bow River to the north and east, CPR tracks to the south and the Elbow River to the west. It is characterized by many heritage homes and commercial buildings from the turn of the 20thcentury. Inglewood also features several sizeable nature reserves.
To learn more:
- Cormier, Ray. 1975. Inglewood and Ramsay: Cradle of Calgary. Calgary: Century Calgary Publications. Online Resource.
- The Society. 1990. Inglewood: An Historic District. Calgary: The Society. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Avitus Design. 1995. The Inglewood-Ramsay Industrial Building Inventory. Calgary: Ativus Design. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Inglewood Film & Art School/Sweetgrass Films Inc. 2005. Inglewood: Struggle for Community Video Documentary. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Heritage Calgary. 2020. Heritage Calgary Walking Tours: Inglewood. Online Resource.
- Inglewood - Calgary District Clippings. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Calgary Herald 1994 Walking Tour of Inglewood (Take the tour and see what's changed!)