Hillhurst/Sunnyside (1880s -)
Hillhurst-Sunnyside is situated in the traditional territory of the Niitsitapi and the people of Treaty 7. It was the first residential development on the north side of the Bow River, first settled in the 1880s and added to by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) building rental cottages for its employees. Senator Matthew Cochrane, owner of the 360,000-acre Cochrane Ranche, named Hillhurst after his birthplace, Hillhurst Farm in Compton, Quebec. Ezra Riley purchased the ranch in 1903 and sold it and his Sunnyside property to the City of Calgary in 1904. He also donated 20 acres to the City for Riley Park, specifying a cricket pitch be built. Hillhurst-Sunnyside was a middle-class community of labourers, tradesmen and office workers, and its vibrant shopping area along 10th Street NW created a village feel. The community’s architectural styles include 1880s’ CPR cottages, 1910s’ Edwardian Front Gable style houses, and 1920s’ Georgian Revival brick apartments on Memorial Drive.
To learn more:
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Historical Context Paper 2022.
- Hillhurst United Church. 1967. Hillhurst’s First Sixty Years, 1907-1967. Calgary: Hillhurst United Church. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- West Hillhurst Go-Getters. 1987. Harvest of Memories: Grand Trunk, West Hillhurst, Calgary. Calgary: West Hillhurst Go-Getters. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Green, Rick. 1996. Sunnyside/Hillhurst Building Inventory, 1908-1995. Calgary: Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association. Accessible at Calgary Public Library.
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association. Heritage Preservation, Walking Tour, and Calgary Flood Story. Online Resource.
- Humber, Donna May. 1997. What’s In A Name…Calgary?. Calgary.
- Tanko, Margaret. 1978. Hillhurst Sunnyside Remembers. Calgary. Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association.
- City of Calgary and Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association. 2005. Hillhurst Sunnyside Walking Tour Map.
- Calgary Herald 1994 Walking Tour of Sunnyside (Take the tour and see what's changed!)