Erlton (1906 - )
Erlton was originally two distinct neighourhoods: Parkview (1906), established by Dr. Neville Lindsay on his property north of 25th Avenue SW; and Erlton (1910), situated on lands formerly owned by the Oblates south of 25th Avenue SW. The developers envisioned both neighbourhoods as upscale, but in 1911 construction of the CNR line began and ran through the community, terminating at St. Mary’s Parish Hall. The area became home to workers employed by the railway and related industries nearby. Erlton was transformed again in the 1980s after the CNR line was decommissioned. The railway yard became Lindsay Park, featuring a world-class aquatic centre. The modest homes north of 25th Avenue were gradually replaced by low-rise condos and townhouses. South of 25th Avenue has also been gentrified, although a few Century homes remain. Erlton is home to Calgary’s oldest cemeteries: Union (1890), St. Mary’s (1896), the Jewish Cemetery (1904), and the Chinese Cemetery (1908).
To learn more:
- Mittlelstadt, David. 2001. Lindsay’s Estate: A History of Parkview and Erlton. Calgary: Erlton Community Association. Online Resource.
- Calgary Foundation. 2020. Jane’s Walks: Erlton: More than Just an LRT Stop. Calgary: Calgary Foundation. Online Resource.