Capitol Hill (1910 - )
Capitol Hill was annexed in 1910, but most of the community was built after World War II. In the late 1940s, a significant number of homes were added to those built in the 1920s and ’30s. The dominant housing in the community is single-family homes, some of which have recently been converted to include basement suites. A notable historical building is the Capitol Hill Cottage School, a 2-storey, wood-frame former schoolhouse built in 1912; significantly, it is one of just four surviving cottage-type schools in Calgary. Also of note is Capitol Hill Park, developed from 1932 to 1941, which featured trees on its perimeter and an interior open space for community sports activities: a playground, skating rinks and a baseball field. The park embodies the principles and work of William R. Reader, the Calgary Parks Superintendent who had a major impact on many parks and landscaping in the city.